Posted by Devin Parker

On the topic of writing, relevant to recent discussions here and on my good friend Michael's blog, Wordhord, from "Lemony Snicket" (a.k.a. Daniel Handler - 34 years old, by the way), author of the children's series "A Series of Unfortunate Events":

"All books that are well written and well constructed and well thought out wind up being moral books. So if you want your children to have proper morality, you just need to seek the best in literature. It's never occurred to me to sit down and wonder, "What on earth can I teach the youth of the world?" I just follow a story that seems interesting. It's never occurred to me to wonder if I'm teaching some unsound lesson, because I just think those become unsound books."

I'm not sure if I agree with him in totality, but it's an interesting theory. You can read the whole interview here.

This entry was posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 at Monday, September 20, 2004 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment