Posted by Devin Parker

I've just finished my registration for the Fall Semester, and I'm fairly pleased. Things were looking a bit dismal when I first arrived - two of the classes I had wanted were already full, and so began the scramble to fill in the gaps to make my 15-credit minimum. Fortunately, there were some surprises regarding availability, and I was able to get a couple of classes that by all rights should have been full already.

Additionally - praise God - the Fall Semester will be my last semester as a sophomore, and after that I'll be able to register for my classes at Advising, before everyone else except the Seniors. No more sitting in line and scrambling to fill the schedule with classes I'm not very enthusiastic about.

Of course, having said that, I think I've done pretty well as a sophomore. This semester was a lot more fun than my freshman year.

So, without further ado, here is my schedule for Fall 2005:

M/W 9:30-12 Noon - Drawing 1: Observation
M 1-6 PM - Special Topics: Comic Book Publishing
W 1-6 PM - Comic Art 2
F 9:30-12 Noon - The Writer's Workshop: Character, Plot, and Theme
F 1-6 PM - Introduction to Animation

Not too shabby, I think. I'm a little nervous about taking Comic Art 2 and Intro Animation at the same time (that's a lot of drawing work), but I've been assured it won't be too bad. I do wish I knew who was teaching the classes, though; I've had plenty of recommendations for specific teachers, but every class's teacher except for Writer's Workshop is listed as "To Be Announced."

I'm looking forward to most of my classes, but I dread Observation Drawing. The Foundation version of the class was dreadfully dull, and while I realize how important a subject it is, I'm not one of those artists who gets a kick out of drawing vegetables and tree stumps. Hopefully we'll do more buildings; drawing the historic riverfront Mill buildings and St. Mary's Basilica last semester was a really enjoyable experience.

Speaking of drawing vegetables, I have a difficult decision to make. I have to choose between two courses of action on the weekend of April 23-24. On one hand, I could join with the other artists in Branches to create a [possibly] collaborative work for a 15 Hour Challenge (somewhat like the 24 Hour Challenge, but on a more reasonable timeframe). I have one or two thoughts as to what I could do with this project, despite the fact that the theme reminds me uncomfortably of Foundation Observation, and now I'm kind of excited about the concept (including the fact that I'd actually get to work together with these brothers and sisters in Christ on some artwork). However, if I choose to do this, I'd probably have to forego the other possibility.

The other course of action would be to go to bed at a decent time on Friday 22nd, and then go to our new church in the morning, followed by the MicroCon, a one-day comic convention in town, in turn followed by a dinner with the Christian Comic Arts Society group. I enjoyed our last meeting at the Source, and I like to keep up with what others are doing.

I don't think I could justify doing both; if I tried to, I would certainly miss church in order to sleep, and I really enjoy our new church.

While I'm on the topic of the CCAS, Sam Hiti recently mentioned on his website that he's signed a movie deal for Tiempos Finales, his Xeric Grant-funded graphic novel. Things just seem to keep getting better for Sam, and I'm really happy for him. It's been nice to see him go from being the guy making 10-page indy comics at the table next to ours to being the Latest Thing, getting praise from industry Big Shots. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, honestly.

All right, already. I've spent enough time away from the drawing board. Besides, I have a tasty lunch awaiting me at the Branches meeting today...

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 at Thursday, April 14, 2005 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment