Posted by Devin Parker

Those of you who read this regularly know that I often wonder about the presentation of "messages" in artwork - specifically, in my comics - and how I should do it, or whether I should do it or not. This is a topic that is often on my mind, and now that I'm trying to write something for publication, it's on my mind again.

Previously, something I had told myself was to simply write about the topic that most has me stirred up at the time. Now that I'm in such a position, I find it less than appropriate. Part of me says that there are more important things to speak about than people's unreasoning hatred of the President. Part of me is reminded of how dreary such polemics from the Other Side are when they are presented to me at school. And part of me draws my attention to the fact that the comics I most enjoy have nothing to do with politics, but are simply an entertaining escape that encourage me to try to be more like the protagonists, heroic in whatever ways I can be.

James Lileks, once again, directed me to a very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal on this topic, though it's approaching it from the medium of the stage. I think anyone interested in writing - and who has a strong conviction about something: Right, Left, Christian, Atheist, whatever - would do well to read it in its entirety.

I've got the entire day to myself today, but unfortunately, the clear blue skies of yesterday are gone, and we've been returned to overcast, rainy skies. Again. So much for that walk around the park...

This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 at Tuesday, June 07, 2005 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment