"Lost"  

Posted by Devin Parker

My current favorite TV show is "Lost". It has all of the mysteries that "Alias" had going for it, but also deals with questions of faith versus naturalistic rationalism and other philosophical quandries in an intriguing manner. It's got a pretty large ensemble cast, so there's someone for everyone to be interested in, depending upon what kinds of characters you like (the triangle of Jack, Sawyer, and Kate - whom I find to be the most uninteresting - Locke vs. Jack vs. Eko, Sun and Jin, Claire and Charlie, Jack vs. Ana-Lucia, Michael and Walt, Sayid vs. Danielle, etc., etc.) as well as the many intriguing little puzzles and mysteries that dot the island they're all stranded on.

Recently, the storylines on the show were revitalized by five fairly significant events in the last episode. This is good, since things seemed to be calming down a bit over the last few episodes and I think everybody who's been watching has been afraid that the same malady which is driving "Alias" into the grave will affect "Lost". Fortunately, things are jumping again.

So, for my own amusement, I jotted down a list of the mysteries that are yet to be resolved on the show; sort of a checklist. One of the reasons I enjoyed "Alias" so much was that as often as they introduced mysteries, they actually addressed them and resolved them in a relatively short amount of time, so you were never unsatisfied by an episode's revelations, but at the same time, you were always on the edge of your seat at the end of the episode, slavering for the next one. "Lost" needs to keep up with this, I think - as I made my list, I realized that they've introduced a lot of mysteries, but so far very few answers have been forthcoming.

If you haven't watched the show, I don't know if my mentioning these things will spoil anything for you - my mentions here are kind of vague - but still, you should be warned. If you haven't seen "Lost", you should.

Here are the mysteries I'm currently aware of that still need to be answered (though, admittedly, we now have some information on some of these):

Alex, Danielle's daughter
Claire's baby (whom "she must raise herself")
The Others (who are they, how did they get there, how much stuff do they have?)
The Black Rock
The Dharma Initiative (which seems to be the island's central mystery)
Will (his current status, his apparent psychic link to animals/the island)
Michael (his current status)
Locke (his connection to the island)
Hurley's Numbers
The Australian (how did he get to the island/the bunker?)
Balloonist (who is he?)
The Black Smoke (what is it? why did it spare Eko?)
Monsters/Traps (connected to the Dharma Initiative? The Black Smoke?)
Polar Bear (how did it get there?)

That's all that comes to mind at the moment; I may have missed one or two from different characters' backgrounds, like where Sayid's girlfriend is currently, what happened to the real "Sawyer", and so on. And, of course, there are the unresolved character stories, like Charlie's personal struggles, Ana-Lucia and Jack building their "army", whether or not there's a romantic future for Hurley and the Psychologist Girl Whose Name I Forget, Sun and Jin's baby, Sawyer and the guns, and whether Sayid and Ana-Lucia are going to get together or if that's just my weird suspicion.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 at Wednesday, April 05, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

14 comments

I love, love, love 'Lost'. I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you posted here - just wanted to chime in and say that you're not alone. :)

Sayid and Ana-Lucia? I don't see that one happening - although I'd love to see Hurley hook up with the psychologist chick.

I swear, I bawled like a little baby when the lovely black woman (whose name is slipping my mind right now!) reconnected with her husband.

12:29 PM

Did they ever conclude if Jack's father (on the island) was just a ghost/hallucination or something more? Rememebr the empty coffin?

And unless it's a ressurected polar bear, that mystery remains in the plural. (Sawer shot, and presumably killed, one early on in the season.)

I haven't seen anything from season two yet, so some of these thngs are new to me. (Who's Ana-Lucia?) but I'll catch up.

Also, I'm thinking that the whispering voices in the wods may be an extra mystery as opposed to connected to one of the others, but who knows.

Regardless - cool, cool show even though I think Kate is a train wreck.

2:06 PM

Don't forget about Kate and her father-horse.

12:36 PM

K, I'd been bopping through TV shows on DVD like you would not believe. It began with Battlestar Gallactica which I thought was going to be a total joke and turns out to be fracking fantabulous! So bought the mini-series/season 1 then cause Netflix wasn't sending them fast enough went out and bought season 2.1, the second half of the second season begins in JULY!!!! Arg!

So while I am waiting for my fix a friend got me to watch Serenity. Holy cow! LOVE IT! So I bought it. Then I borrowed said friend's copy of Firefly (which for those of you who don't know was the one season TV show that led to the movie Serenity), ate discs 1-3 up but she had loaned disc 4 to another friend. AGH! So had buy Firefly cause I couldn't wait. Finished the series then wanted to cry because there are no more episodes forth coming. How could they cancel that show?!?!?!

Then Skaggs mentions watching Lost and digging it so what the hay? So in comes disc one on Netflix and we ate it up. Ended up going to Blockbuster and renting discs 1-6 within a few days. Another friend had almost all of season two on tape so I got pretty caught up, what I didn't see I read about and watched snippets of on the Lost (ABC?) website. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before episodes of Lost end up as a part of my entertainment library.

Favorite characters it's hard to decide, because Lost (like Battlestar and Firefly) has an amazing ensemble cast. There's Hurley, who is just so loveable and since he kicked Sawyers ass in the last episode and I find Sawyer so reprehensible (what's up his Kid Rock hair?) well now I love Hurley even more.

Oh, and as for the "real" Sawyer... my theory is it was Locke's horrible con-artist Dad. Which I say because it seems as if all these charaters lives have intersected before the island (i.e. Sawyer meeting Jack's Dad ((which talk about crying- I nearly lost it when Sawyer told Jack about it)), Locke doing work on Sayid's girlfriend's house, Hurley owning the box company Locke latter worked for, Hurley and Libby having been in the same institution, etc.)

I dig Eko because he's ultra cool and Jack, well, Jack is just so pretty (what can I say I have a thing for guys named Matthew Fox).

I also happen to like Kate and don't think she's anymore of a train wreck (all things considered) then anyone else on the island, though the kissing Sawyer/Jack thing so annoying.

Sayid and AnaLucia? Maybe. More interesting Analucia and Sawyer (Sawyer: you married? A.L.: no. Sawyer: you seemed suited to it. A.L. you married? Sawyer: no. A.L.: gay? Sawyer: funny). Yes it was! And I have to stop here as I will go on, and on (as you can see). I'm even worse with Battlestar.

3:58 PM

Everyone should watch "Firefly." It's shiny.

Ana-Lucia and Sawyer...hmmm, I could see that happening. You're right, that was an intriguing exchange. (I'm all excited for you to get caught up, Skaggs! You've got a lot of interesting developments coming)

I agree with you on the "Real Sawyer/Locke's Father" theory; oddly enough, I was discussing that same possibility with someone at school today.

Oh, and Marilyn and I saw our taped episode of "Lost" tonight, with the focus on Hurley. Wow. I had no idea.

We've got "Battlestar Galactica" on our Blockbuster list, but it's pretty far down, I think. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, though, based on all of the good references I've heard.

12:13 AM

Oh, and, Laura - any drama that can make me shed tears on a fairly regular basis has a lot going for it, in my opinion. You're right: that was a beautiful scene, and it wasn't even one of the main plots!

12:16 AM

Beth - I'm sorry, I can't resist.

Did you know that there's another REALLY GREAT show by Joss Whedon? Oh yeah. Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

You may laugh, but if you are addictable, you will get addicted.

5:45 PM

Yeah, I don't know. Was never that in to Buffy and once Angel left I felt that a lot was lost. And it was never as quotable as Firefly (IMHO).

Favorite quote from Firefly (well, one of many actually):
Jayne: You wanna go little man?
Wash: Only if it's someplace with candle light.

Heeeee.

Favorite quote from last nights episode of Lost:
Kate: I'm sorry I kissed you.
Jack: I'm not.

Whew! Did I mention that I love men named Matthew Fox.

7:55 PM

Angel's better than Buffy. It's like Buffy for grown ups.

4:21 PM

Here's my favorite line from this week:

Benedict (to Eko, upon learning he's building a church): You know, I liked you better when you hit people with your stick.

Charlie: I like you just the way you are.

:)

4:03 AM

Have you explored the Lostpedia?

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

There's a whole article on deciphering the blast door map. It's really freaky when you know what's written on it. :)

9:48 PM

Oooooh, shiny!

I got to see a picture of the Blast Door Map when EW.com ran it, but this is even cooler. Thanks for the tip!

3:00 PM
Anonymous  

Not to crash the party, but I am currently watching the first season of Lost again, and about the polar bear, isn't it a manifestation of Will's, like the bird, hmm?
Go, Chief Thunderbird!

12:19 AM

Interesting thought, Sarah...and there certainly is something going on with Will. The appearance of the polar bear in the comic book seems a little too convenient, even though we may have another explanation for the bear.

Or, perhaps, an additional explanation...

6:54 PM

Post a Comment