LARPing For the Greater Good  

Posted by Devin Parker

Click on the title of this post; I saw a television news report about this the other day and I thought it was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my last post about internship. I really appreciate the encouragement, and it helps to be reminded of what a great opportunity this is.

Along similar lines, I think I can now officially say that Marilyn and I are going to the Wizard World comics convention in Chicago in August. It's going to be very expensive, but the reason we decided to go was because DC Comics is doing their "Nation Tour" at San Diego and Chicago, in which they will, in their own words, "conduct talent searches to find the next new pencillers, inkers, and colorists to work on our comics." They'll have people looking at work for any of their imprints (which means not only the superhero comics of DC, but also the "alternative" comics of Vertigo and the Image-style comics of WildStorm), so they look for a variety of art styles. I've looked over some of their materials on this Tour, and they've said that consider this less of a "portfolio review" and more of a job interview. Though, presumably, if they aren't interested in immediately hiring me (the most likely situation), they'll at least tell me what I should work on improving. In any case, I'm very excited about the opportunity.

I've been reading a book that was recommended to me by my friend Cedric, one of the guys in our Christian Comics group out here. It's called Behind the Screen: Hollywood Insiders on Faith, Film, and Culture. It was written by several Christians involved with a group called Act One, all of whom are recognized writers, producers, and the like currently working in Hollywood or in some aspect of the entertainment industry (that is to say, these aren't Guy Smiley Who Played Pilot #2 in the Left Behind Movie; you'll recognize what they've worked on, and in some cases even be a bit surprised).

If you're at all interested in creative writing, comics, movies, or being in any way involved with the entertainment industry (and are a Christian), I would go so far as to say that you need to read this book. I'm only half way through it, and already I've read a lot of advice and encouragement that answer questions and struggles I've had as a writer and artist for a long time. I'll most likely be talking about this some more in a later blog entry, but for the time being I need to keep this short.

Speaking of, I need to go close the register. More tomorrow, perhaps.

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 at Thursday, June 22, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Wow - sounds like that convention will be a great opportunity for you. Even if "all" you get out of it is constructive criticism and making a few contacts, it'll be worth it.

Be sure to bring business cards. :)

9:01 AM

Post a Comment