I'm Still On Vacation  

Posted by Devin Parker

I have some cool things going on with me right now - chief amongst them being that my friend Sherwin has asked me to write the script for a historical fiction graphic novel that he wants to get published - but I don't know that I have a whole lot of interesting things to say at the moment. I don't want to go into detail about the graphic novel at this point because I think it's better (both as a motivator for me and as a business concern) to keep the synopsis offline. The details of my vacation thus far are fairly uninteresting to those for whom I am not about to run a roleplaying session. It may even be dull for those whom I am running a roleplaying session (GURPS Firefly this Friday night and 3rd Edition D&D this weekend, if all goes as planned).

I could also mention that Marilyn's birthday was on Sunday, and since Friday we've been enjoying the birthday present I bought for her: the first season of "Angel" on DVD. I've always liked "Angel" better than "Buffy." I think I was never quite into the whole high school setting thing. I don't know. So it's a nice, Joss Whedony follow-up to the absolutely wonderful Christmas gift that Michael and Laura got for us, the entire series of "Firefly" on DVD (which, of course, spurred on the urge to roleplay in this setting). But telling you that we've been spending a lot of time watching TV isn't exactly riveting material, either.

Which reminds me, I really need to send out thank-you cards. I got a lot of cool swag this Christmas from a lot of cool people. I gave them all my usual Christmas gift - smiles (they're free and you can have as many as you want!) - but, honestly, this warrants more.

No, the reason I'm posting something right now is because it's been pointed out to me by someone that I haven't said anything here for a while. For this, I apologize. It's my chronic Vacation Internet Avoidance Syndrome*. However, for the sake of my devoted fan, I'll post an observation I rediscovered online:

Necromancy, to me, means raising an army of undead to strike fear into the hearts of tunic-wearing villagers, but apparently simply chatting with dead people counts too. The most popular home necromancy kit is of course the Ouija board. Even more amusing to me than the fact that you can buy necromancy at Kay-Bee Toys is the fact that it's labeled "for ages 8 and up." Because seven is just a bit too young to be communing with the dead.

It's the collected Book of Ratings, in which everything in life is given a letter grade. Mind the occasional profanity, but they're a hoot. Well, a little hoot.

*Marilyn has helpfully pointed out to me that it's not so much that I avoid the internet when this malady strikes me, so much as I avoid those websites that require me to pay attention to them regularly. Like online games and e-mail. Just the usual brand of responsibility-shirking, but taken to an even more trivial degree than usual.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 at Tuesday, January 09, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

heres a site you can go to that requires no attention.
http://www.freemars.org/mnfan/MCBA/FallCon/2004/
I was crusing around tonight and found someones old fallcon page. None of the links work but if you look about halfway down you might see....YOU
you are a public figure, dude!
congrats again on the script gig!

1:58 AM

woops i mean about 1/5 the way down.
and you are blurry.

like the faceless master.
20 points for that ref.Anyone?

2:04 AM

Hey, that's me, Caption!

Too bad the full-sized picture is no longer available. I spent a really, really long time waiting for that thumbnail to open.

3:15 PM

you need to get an antennea to see if you can pick up someones wireless signal. theres bound to be something putting out a signal around you. you could borrow ours!

5:44 PM

w00t! We watched most of the first season of Angel a while back. Good stuff. Very comic-y I thought.

12:57 PM

It really is. It's essentially a detective show, but with demons as antagonists instead of boring old normal human criminals. And the dialogue is, of course, snappy. It's also great because it doesn't take itself too seriously...and yet at the same time, is capable of really moving drama. I love this show.

12:44 AM

Post a Comment