Jesus On Disasters  

Posted by Devin Parker

In The Mark of Cain, Stuart Barton Babbage made reference to the fact that the Victorians are often criticized and caricatured for their refusal to discuss sexual matters and their obsession with death. In this era, birth was not openly mentioned; instead elaborate behaviors and euphemisms were fabricated, such as the myth of the delivery stork. It was also an era which experienced an increased interest in spiritualism and communications with the dead, as well as funerary practices we find morbid and unpleasant - presenting the cadaver of the deceased in the parlor of the house for visitors, the erection of mausoleums in parks, the wearing of jewelry made from the hair of the dead, and the creation of post-mortem photo albums.

Babbage says perhaps the Victorians would have been justified to point out that we are their lopsided equivalent. We discuss birth and reproductive matters openly, perhaps to what they would have considered an obsessive degree, while we shy away from the subject of our inevitable demise. We speak of those who have "passed away," or "whom are no longer with us." Though we claim "they've found peace" or "they've gone on to a better place," we find discussions of the details of that afterlife disturbing and inappropriate for such occasions. Only the most vague, benevolent, and inclusive of terms are acceptable. We haven't the stomach to face death, because we in the First World, through advances in medicine, hygiene, and the general standard of living, have become so far removed from the daily realities of death that our forbears had no choice but to cope with.

In the aftermath of the collapse of the 35W bridge, there is bound to be some finger-pointing and discussion of the failure of politics to prevent this tragedy. In fact, it started on Lilek's daily forum the day of the accident, though most posters reacted negatively to such talk. Now was not the time for such discussions, they said. We need time to grieve. I tend to agree; people are in pain and now need comfort and time to accept what's happened.

At the same time...I can't help but wonder whether covering our eyes and pretending that the world stops for us, that no one else will depart from this life until we're ready for it to happen, is a good thing. Amidst the accusations that political officials or parties have failed us, there are also accusations leveled against God Himself - "If He's good, how could He allow this to happen? God's going to have some explaining to do when I see Him." I can't help but bristle that people can allow their egos to become so great to think that God owes them anything (look what He said to Job!). Yet, I have the luxury of speaking as one who did not lose a family member or friend in the collapse. I don't have any grief to face, or any pain to drive my words.

I happened across an article that John Piper, a pastor and author from our neck of the woods, wrote a few hours after the bridge collapsed. It was hard to read, because what he had to say isn't a pleasant thing to consider. It's never a pleasant thing to consider, really, but at times like this, when people's hearts and minds are tender like an open wound, it carries with it a terrible sting.

But medicine that will heal a wound often stings when applied. Pain is something else we have managed to remove ourselves from, a luxury not enjoyed by the majority of the Earth's population.

Here's the gist of what he had to say. Pay special attention to Jesus's reaction in the verses he quotes:

Tonight for our family devotions our appointed reading was Luke 13:1-9. It was not my choice. This is surely no coincidence. O that all of the Twin Cities, in shock at this major calamity, would hear what Jesus has to say about it from Luke 13:1-5. People came to Jesus with heart-wrenching news about the slaughter of worshipers by Pilate. Here is what he said.

There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And he answered them, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."

Jesus implies that those who brought him this news thought he would say that those who died, deserved to die, and that those who didn’t die did not deserve to die. That is not what he said. He said, everyone deserves to die. And if you and I don’t repent, we too will perish. This is a stunning response. It only makes sense from a view of reality that is radically oriented on God.

All of us have sinned against God, not just against man. This is an outrage ten thousand times worse than the collapse of the 35W bridge. That any human is breathing at this minute on this planet is sheer mercy from God. God makes the sun rise and the rain fall on those who do not treasure him above all else. He causes the heart to beat and the lungs to work for millions of people who deserve his wrath. This is a view of reality that desperately needs to be taught in our churches, so that we are prepared for the calamities of the world.

The meaning of the collapse of this bridge is that John Piper is a sinner and should repent or forfeit his life forever. That means I should turn from the silly preoccupations of my life and focus my mind’s attention and my heart’s affection on God and embrace Jesus Christ as my only hope for the forgiveness of my sins and for the hope of eternal life. That is God’s message in the collapse of this bridge. That is his most merciful message: there is still time to turn from sin and unbelief and destruction for those of us who live. If we could see the eternal calamity from which he is offering escape we would hear this as the most precious message in the world.

- John Piper, "Putting My Daughter to Bed Two Hours After the Bridge Collapsed"


(Click here to read the full article)

I'm certain there are people who will read his words - especially if they read the entire article - and will denounce it. They may accuse him of being heartless, of being divisive in a time when we should be uniting, or perhaps even of being a hate-monger against non-Christians. Many (myself included) still have the bad taste in their mouths left by Jerry Falwell's accusations that "the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularise America" were responsible for bringing God's wrath down on the Twin Towers on 9/11. Even though Piper draws his conclusions from God's own words, I can't entirely blame people if they hear echoes of Falwell in Piper's essay.

But at the same time I can't argue with Piper's conclusions. The problem with Falwell's accusation wasn't that he blamed the sinful behavior of some, but that he forgot to include the rest of us - and himself - in that condemnation. We are a wicked people, and we have made this a wicked old world. Death is our birthright and our legacy. Only through repentance and the grace of Jesus can we ever be given a new inheritance.

If the verses Piper's family were scheduled to read wasn't preternatural enough a coincidence, the verse I've been seeing in various places over the last few days has added to that sense of unease for me: James 1:22 - But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. I've been seeing that verse on "verse of the day" websites, hearing it in sermons... Here's the verse within its full context:

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

- James 1:19-27 (ESV)

I have little doubt that this is a relevant passage for me; God knows precisely to which issues this applies in my own life. Thinking about the bridge disaster reminded me of my mortality, along with the experience I had a few weeks ago in the storm.

I don't want my religion to be worthless. I don't want to be the Pharisee that Jesus reserves His harshest words for. I don't want death to be my only legacy. But what am I willing to do about it in the time I have left? I think I need Jesus to save me from my own will and contentment, because I don't feel as though I can even muster the energy to change right now; excuses come so easily to me ("I have no control over that; that's not really my problem; that's just who I am, it's my personality type, I don't have a calling to do that, I'm not equipped for it; that's just my particular thorn-in-the-flesh") but I don't know if I dare to believe them any longer; if I can afford to. That inertia will kill me.

This entry was posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 at Friday, August 03, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

I just read that President Bush is going to come out to Minneapolis on Saturday, promising that the government will help insure that the bridge is rebuilt as quickly as possible.

I have to admit I'm pretty surprised by that. And while I'm glad that we're going to receive the aid, I can't get President Reagan's old quote out of my mind:

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

1:44 AM

Hey, Dev,

I am signed up for John Piper's emails, so I found the article to which you refer in my inbox yesterday afternoon. I waited until this morning to read it, and thought, "Man, this is tough stuff, but it's the truth. Wonder if I should link to that from my blog." I was most happy, and appreciative of the coincidence, to find that you had already talked about it, and in a context with more depth of thought than I could bring to it at the moment. Good on ya.

And I both commiserate and seek Him with you on the whole "inertia, change me because I can't change myself, please let me make the time count," thing. My excuses are just the same as yours. And I am finding I can't stand being in my own skin. So here's praying with you for more and more of Him.

1:00 PM

Good post man. And may the God of everlasting life and our risen lord bring that work he started into startling, embarassing, glorifying completion in you.

2:12 PM

There! I told you Id read it!
Great stuff. Ill second Kathie in saying I too read Pipers article and found it tough to chew on especially since the wound felt so raw, but he is using Christ's own words.
Thanks for fleshing it all out like you did Devin, i think you also nailed the part on the head about Falwell and those guys. Thats it!
Well said.

10:44 PM

Post a Comment