Comics Time!  

Posted by Devin Parker



I want to talk shop for a moment. This is actually a pretty well-done comic, here. The artist has managed to make a dinner conversation visually interesting. He changes the point-of-view without going outside a 180-degree arc, and uses a variety of background elements, from simple setting to mood-setting abstract shapes and shades. And that brush work on the inking is pretty nice. Okay, there's the issue with the super-bendy wrists in panel two, but it's not awful. I mean, it still looks like a hand, and I think there are people who can actually do that. Anyway, good job, Graham Nolan!

On the other hand, it's "Rex Morgan, M.D.", which means that the original dialog and story was, well...let's just say that soap opera comics are not my cup of tea. Here, I've decided to lend my skills as a writer and editor. Mind you, I think my dialog is more appropriate to the drawings than the original captions, which I think read a bit like "Bi-Polar Man and the ADD Wives". Having said that, it's got to be a huge pain to maintain pacing in a weekly comic like this, keeping it simultaneously open to new readers and rewarding to long-time readers. When I was younger, I wanted to do a regular comics strip in the paper, but I wanted to do adventure/drama, not the standard "funny" strips. And my Professional Practice teacher tells me there's pretty darned good money in syndicated strips.

I kid because I'm jealous.

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 at Thursday, November 01, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Oh. My. Goodness.

I laughed at that very, very hard. I think you've found your calling—how hard could it be to get the rights to some of those old strips and "dress them up" a bit, as it were.

"Happy Birthday to me..." Holy cow, that's funny.

6:05 PM

I don't know if it's something I could do regularly, but the concept for this strip just jumped out at me. I mean, four panels of a guy pointing his finger? Something obviously had to be done.

Unfortunately, as I told you on the phone, the comics syndicates are notorious for crushing this sort of expression wherever they find it, so hopefully this will remain under the radar.

6:53 PM

Post a Comment