Once I Was LOST But Now...  

Posted by Devin Parker

So, Marilyn and I just finished watching the latest episode of "Lost" a half-hour ago. I found it interesting that Naiomi's shadowrun team included a woman who was identified by Ben as Charlotte Staples Lewis - i.e., C. S. [Clive Staples] Lewis.

This makes me want to speculate as to what role she may play in this epic drama. Here's my theory: She enters the story as someone hired by The Hanso Foundation (whom seems to me to be the only likely candidate for whom the Mysterious Black Man is a representative, especially given their specific interest in Ben), a worldly skeptic. However, like her namesake, she will have a conversion experience wherein she realizes that there is Something about this island, and that Locke is on to something. I expect her to become not only Locke's ally, but also his foil, questioning his every step.

Alternatively, it could be merely a literary reference, and have allusions to "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe." Of course, in that story, four people emerge into a fantasy world, and the younger girl is a true believer from the beginning. There are four people on Naiomi's team, and Charlotte is the only female. In either case, I imagine it may follow the same path, with Charlotte having the "Lucy task" of convincing the other teammates.

What I'm hoping is that, like other "namesake characters" (Locke, Desmond, Rousseau, etc.), she will reflect in some way the philosophy of her namesake. I'll be a little disappointed if they go through all the trouble of making a Lewis character without referencing Lewis's philosophy.

This entry was posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 at Friday, February 08, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment