Posted by Devin Parker

I've been doing a lot of reading on political material. As you might imagine, there's quite a lot to sift through. In my searching, I've happened across two helpful nonpartisan websites devoted to helping voters discern the truth in both party campaigns: Spinsanity.com and FactCheck.org. They've provided me with information clarifying the deceptive claims and exaggerations of both the Kerry and the Bush campaigns, as well as poking quite a few holes in Michael Moore's agitprop.

That helps.

While technically an Independent, I'm still in the Bush camp. I do wish they wouldn't be so deceptive. I really don't think they need to be, especially considering the fact that the Democrat leadership keeps shooting itself in the proverbial foot. If nothing else, I know that Bush has pushed for Good Things - such as equal opportunities for religious-based charities, banning embryonic stem cell research, and supporting the Constitutional amendment on marriage - while Kerry has declared himself opposed to these moves. Sometimes I'm troubled that Bush seems to be using his faith to justify certain actions, but I would much rather have a President who claims to be a Christian and then acts on it than someone who claims to be a Christian but "doesn't allow it to affect his public decision making" - i.e. a hypocrite.

Furthermore, every time I begin to question our involvement in Iraq, I read some of the Iraqi blogs that have appeared on the Internet. I'm still struggling with a theological question that has been troubling me for years - is there ever a time at which violence is justified? Is there such a thing as a just war, or would Christ denounce all violence of any kind? Is there a different rule for governments than there is for individuals? Nonetheless, at this point in time, I'm still convinced that our nation's actions in Iraq have been for the greater good.

This entry was posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 at Friday, August 06, 2004 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment