Dragonlance: The Movie  

Posted by Devin Parker

This might be of interest to a few of us. The D&D campaign-turned-fantasy trilogy Dragonlance is being made into an animated film release. Given that the title of the movie is the same as that of the first book, it looks as though it will be a trilogy of movies, as well. That seems to suggest that the producers have high expectations for its performance; while I think my days of really grooving on game fiction are past me, I must admit that Dragonlance will always have a cozy little corner in my heart. And besides, I'm always glad to see a fantasy story well-done in film format.

The cast is promising enough to suggest that it may be a quality production, as well: Kiefer Sutherland as Raistlin Majere and Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor in "Smallville") as Tanis Half-Elven; for the real fanboys, there's also Lucy Lawless as Goldmoon and Michelle Trachtenberg (Dawn Summers in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") as Tika Waylan. Here's the confirmed cast list for those who are interested.

Now here's the part that makes me nervous: while the website claims that the authors, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, have "plenty of involvement", the screenplay has been adapted by George Strayton, whose credits include "Xena: Warrior Princess", "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys," and "Cleopatra 2525." I know there may be those out there to whom these are good things, but...well. I'll admit that the later episodes of "Xena" that I've seen were engaging, and it mentions in his bio that it was the later episodes he wrote for. And my appreciation of Sam Raimi (whose company, Renaissance Pictures, produced all three shows) has taken some time to mature.

And that doesn't even begin to consider what the quality of the animation will be like. So, let's just say that I'm 'withholding judgement.'

This entry was posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 at Friday, July 21, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Anonymous  

Devin,

Keep in mind that Peter Jackson hadn't done much to impress before the Lord of the Rings movies--there's always a chance for someone to shine if they come across the right project. As you stated though, if it's going to be animated, the style and quality of the animation will be huge in determining success.

8:50 AM

That's a very good point, and I hope that the outcome is similar. Dragonlance isn't exactly classic literature, but it seems that what allowed Jackson to do so well with the "Lord of the Rings" movies was his personal love of and respect for the original books. I hope that this is Strayton's position, too.

10:17 AM

I do not care about Dragonlance movies! I never cared about Dragonlance movies! What of this comic book portfolio convention thing?

Speak, man, speak!

3:43 PM

i really, really dislike Lucy Lawless as Goldmoon. I would even say hate.

12:33 AM

Post a Comment