Thanks For The Fun, Uncle Gary  

Posted by Devin Parker

I don't usually have a reason to cross-post on my blogs, but I think this is notable enough to mention here as well as on my gaming blog, The Head of Vecna:

Ernest Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons and author of several similarly idiosyncratic games and novels (so much so that "Gygaxian" has entered the geek vocabulary), has died at the age of 69. While not the only person with such interests at that time, he is credited with essentially giving birth (along with Dave Arneson) to the roleplaying hobby.

As Michael pointed out on my other blog, we may have accomplished a lot more in life had we not been influenced by Gygax's work, but at the same time, we might not have come up with quite so many story ideas had we not had our quirky little hobby.

The joyful part of this sad news? As I was looking around the gaming forums and blogs that I usually frequent to see the turnout (which is large enough to give many of them traffic nightmares), I found a post on TrollLord Games' forums, in which the author quoted the last e-mail he received from Gary:

Thank You, Michael,

All I am is another fellow human that has at last, after many wrong paths and failed attenpts, found Jesus Christ.

Via con dios,
Gary

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16


In a hobby fandom that, based on my interactions, I would estimate is probably 30-50% atheist and 50-70% agnostic or some variety of neo-Pagan or New Age belief, this is nothing short of miraculous to me. Praise God.

EDIT: Here's one gamer's story about Gary, both his regrets and his triumphs.

Until we meet in the Lord's Hall on that far shore, thanks for all the fun, Uncle Gary.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 at Tuesday, March 04, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Roll on, Brother Gygax!

And we'll pray it was a natural 20...

rim shot

6:05 PM

He may have failed his Saving Throw vs. Death, but think of the Experience Points he's racked up...

7:02 PM

Sad, in that I'm sad we in this world have lost him for now.

But Gary would totally have laughed at that.

12:07 AM

The Order of the Stick tribute was very sweet.

12:32 AM

Sad in the most AWESOME way!

10:35 AM

Post a Comment