Posted by Devin Parker

So I just got the news: Will Eisner has died. The pioneer of the modern comics revolution, the inventor of the term "sequential art" as a new name for the comics medium, the creator for whom comics' most prestigious award is named, has penned his last. I had hoped that I would have the opportunity to meet him before he died; my dreamy little dream was winning an Eisner Award and getting it handed to me by the man himself. At least I had the consolation that I wasn't anywhere near old enough to have met or corresponded with Tolkien or Lewis by the time they died, but with Mr. Eisner, I simply didn't seize the opportunities when I had them.

And now it's too late. I guess the best thing to do would be to learn from what he left behind as best I can. I should send a card to his wife, too.

I begin classes on Monday. My work schedule will change to Monday and Wednesday nights, which means that I won't be seeing Sean on a regular basis any longer. We've talked about trying to get together for dinner some night, but plans seem to keep falling apart. He's been talking about getting a job somewhere else, anyway, so I guess it was going to happen one way or another, but the man's been a good friend, and I don't want to just sever all communications with him.

Sorry, that was a tangent. As I was originally saying, I begin my new classes very soon. For the second time in my life - and hopefully the last - I am a sophomore, a "wise fool." Hurrah. I'll be drawrin' comics and learning how to think visually and digitally illustratin' and makin' roleplayin' games.

I, uh, don't have a whole lot to say today, if you hadn't noticed. I've been sick lately, and I feel as though my month off has passed me by in the blink of an eye. I still haven't gotten to do a few of the things I had meant to do during my time off, but there's always the summer.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at Wednesday, January 05, 2005 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment